To determine the effects of midazolam on the minimum anesthetic concentration (MAC) reduction of end-tidal isoflurane concentration (Fe′Iso) measured using an electrical stimulus in Quaker parrots (Myiopsitta monachus).
Randomized crossover experimental study.
A group of six adult Quaker parrots, weighing 98–124 g.
Birds were anesthetized with isoflurane in oxygen delivered by mask, then tracheally intubated and mechanically ventilated. Three treatments were applied with a 4 day interval between anesthetic events. Each anesthetized bird was administered midazolam (1 mg kg−1; treatment MID1), midazolam (2 mg kg−1; treatment MID2) or electrolyte solution (control) intramuscularly. The treatments were administered using a replicated Latin square design and the observers were blinded. Based on a pilot bird, the starting Fe′Iso was 1.8%. After equilibration for 10 minutes, a supramaximal stimulus was delivered using an electrical current (20 V and 50 Hz for 10 ms) and birds were observed for non-reflex movement. The Fe′Iso was titrated by 0.1% until a crossover event was observed. The MAC was estimated using logistic regression.
The MAC of isoflurane (MACISO) was estimated at 2.52% [95% confidence interval (CI), 2.19–2.85] with a range of 1.85–2.65%. MACISO in MID1 was 2.04% (95% CI, 1.71–2.37) and in MID2 was 1.81% (95% CI, 1.48–2.14); reductions in MACISO from control of 19% (p = 0.001) and 28% (p < 0.001), respectively. Heart rate, temperature, sex and anesthetic time were not different among treatments.
Midazolam (1–2 mg kg−1) intramuscularly resulted in a significant isoflurane-sparing effect in response to a noxious stimulus in Quaker parrots without observable adverse effects.
Midazolam can be used as part of a balanced anesthetic approach using isoflurane in Quaker parrots, and potentially in other psittacine species.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Avian anesthesia.Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2001; 4: 147-167
- Are avian intrapulmonary CO2 receptors chemically modulated mechanoreceptors or chemoreceptors?.Respir Physiol. 1978; 35: 237-243
- Anesthetic properties of carbon dioxide in the rat.Anaesth Analg. 2007; 105: 103-106
- Anesthesia with isoflurane and sevoflurane in the crested serpent eagle (Spilornis cheela hoya): minimum anesthetic concentration, physiological effects, hematocrit, plasma chemistry and behavioral effects.J Vet Med Sci. 2013; 75: 1591-1600
- Influence of mu- and kappa-opioid agonist on isoflurane minimal anesthetic concentration in chickens.Am J Vet Res. 1995; 56: 806-811
- Plasma pharmacokinetics of midazolam in chickens, turkeys, pheasants and bobwhite quail.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 30: 429-436
- Determination of ED50 of isoflurane and evaluation of the isoflurane-sparing effect of butorphanol in cockatoos (Cacatua spp.).Vet Surg. 1994; 23: 429-433
- Evaluation of sedation in quail induced by use of midazolam and reversed by use of flumazenil.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1996; 209: 969-971
- Assessment of sedation after intranasal administration of midazolam and midazolam-butorphanol in cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus).Am J Vet Res. 2018; 79: 1246-1252
- Effects of midazolam on isoflurane minimum alveolar concentration in goats.Small Rum Res. 2011; 97: 104-109
- Comparison of the sedative effects of alfaxalone and butorphanol-midazolam administered intramuscularly in budgerigars (Melopsittacus undulatus).J Avian Med Surg. 2018; 32: 279-285
- Effects of methadone on the minimum anesthetic concentration of isoflurane, and its effects on heart rate, blood pressure, and ventilation during isoflurane anesthesia in hens (Gallus gallus domesticus).PLoS One. 2016; 11e0152546
- Effects of tramadol on the minimum anesthetic concentration of isoflurane in white-eyed parakeets (Psittacara leucophthalmus).J Zoo Wildl Med. 2017; 48: 380-387
- Respiratory depression by midazolam and diazepam.Anesthesiology. 1980; 53: 494-497
- Control of breathing.in: King A.S. McLelland J. Form and Function in Birds. vol. 4. Academic, UK1989: 439-484
- Comparison of three different inhalant anesthetic agents (isoflurane, sevoflurane, desflurane) in red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis).Vet Anaesth Analg. 2012; 39: 29-37
- Minimum anesthetic concentration and cardiovascular dose-response relationship of isoflurane in cinereous vultures (Aegypius monachus).J Zoo Wildl Med. 2011; 42: 499-503
- The influence of a combined butorphanol and midazolam premedication on anesthesia in psittacid species.J Avian Med Surg. 2016; 30: 317-323
- Isoflurane anesthesia in sandhill cranes (Grus canadensis): minimum anesthetic concentration and cardiopulmonary dose-response during spontaneous and controlled breathing.Anesth Analg. 1989; 68: 511-516
- Minimal anesthetic concentration and cardiopulmonary dose response of isoflurane in ducks.Vet Surg. 1990; 19: 304-307
- Sedation and physiologic response to manual restraint after intranasal administration of midazolam in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots (Amazona ventralis).J Avian Med Surg. 2012; 26: 130-139
- Minimum anesthetic concentration of isoflurane in captive thick-billed parrots (Rhynchopsitta pachyrhyncha).Am J Vet Res. 2008; 69: 189-194
- Effects of fentanyl target-controlled infusions on isoflurane minimum anaesthetic concentration and cardiovascular function in red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis).Vet Anaesth Analg. 2011; 38: 344-351
- Midazolam: pharmacology and uses.Anesthesiology. 1985; 62: 310-324
- Intranasal administration of midazolam in blue-and-yellow macaws (Ara ararauna): evaluation of sedative effects.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2016; 43: 459-460
- Sedative effects of intranasal midazolam administration in wild caught blue-fronted Amazon (Amazona aestiva) and orange-winged Amazon (Amazona amazonica) parrots.J Avian Med Surg. 2017; 31: 213-218
- The effect of midazolam on the end-tidal concentration of isoflurane necessary to prevent movement in dogs.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2011; 38: 195-202
- Determination of a sedative dose and influence of midazolam on cardiopulmonary function in Canada geese.Am J Vet Res. 1990; 51: 1071-1074
- Validation of several types of noxious stimuli for use in determining the minimum alveolar concentration for inhalation anesthetics in dogs and rabbits.Am J Vet Res. 2003; 64: 957-962
- Sedative effects of midazolam and xylazine with or without ketamine and detomidine alone following intranasal administration in ring-necked parakeets.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006; 228: 383-388
- Clinical evaluation of intranasal benzodiazepines, alpha-agonists and their antagonists in canaries.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2006; 33: 143-148
- Uses of MAC.Br J Anaesth. 2003; 91: 167-169
Published online: February 04, 2020
Accepted: January 4, 2020
Received: August 12, 2019
© 2020 Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists and American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.