To investigate the effects of MK‐467 on sedation quality, and cardiopulmonary and pharmacokinetic variables in horses sedated intravenously (IV) with romifidine.
Experimental, randomized, crossover design.
Seven healthy mares.
Romifidine (80 μg kg−1; R) and MK‐467 (200 μg kg−1; MK) were administered IV alone and in combination (R + MK). Levels of sedation and borborygmi were scored. Heart rate (HR), direct arterial blood pressure (ABP) and respiratory rate (fR) were recorded. Arterial and venous blood gas analyses were performed and venous plasma drug concentrations were measured. Pharmacokinetic parameters were calculated. Linear mixed modelling for repeated measures, contrasts of least square means by Bonferroni correction tests, one‐way anova for repeated measures with Bonferroni multiple comparison tests and paired Student's t‐tests were used to compare results within and between treatments as appropriate. Significance was set at p < 0.05.
After R, ABP increased and HR and fR decreased significantly. After R + MK, HR, fR, systolic and mean ABP decreased. MK alone increased both HR and fR. After R, ABP was significantly higher than after R + MK. HR and fR were significantly higher after MK than after R and R + MK. Areas under the curve for sedation time were similar after R and R + MK. Intestinal activity decreased markedly after R and less after R + MK. Volume of distribution and clearance of romifidine were significantly higher and area under the concentration time curve extrapolated to infinity significantly lower after R + MK than after R.
Combined romifidine and MK‐467 prevented the cardiovascular changes commonly seen with romifidine but did not affect sedation quality.
Combined IV romifidine and MK‐467 can be used to attenuate the cardiovascular effects of romifidine, such as in horses with colic or undergoing general anaesthesia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Arterial blood gases and acid-base balance in healthy young and aged horses.Equine Vet J. 1998; 30: 352-354
- Adrenergic modulation of human colonic motor and sensory function.Am J Physiol. 1997; 27: 997-1006
- Characterisation of the cardiovascular pharmacology of medetomidine in the horse and sheep.Res Vet Sci. 1998; 65: 149-154
- Sedative and cardiovascular effects of romifidine, alone and in combination with butorphanol, in the horse.J Vet Anaesth. 1991; 18: 25-29
- A peripherally acting alpha-2 adrenoceptor antagonist: L-659,066.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1988; 245: 32-40
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of three intravenous doses of yohimbine in the horse.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 34: 359-366
- Influence of cardiac output on dexmedetomidine pharmacokinetics.J Pharm Sci. 2000; 89: 519-527
- Effect of detomidine on visceral and somatic nociception and duodenal motility in conscious adult horses.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2009; 36: 162-172
- A comparison of the sedative effects of three α2-adrenoceptor agonists (romifidine, detomidine and xylazine) in the horse.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 1992; 15: 194-201
- The effects of a peripheral α2 adrenergic-receptor antagonist on the hemodynamic changes induced by medetomidine administration in conscious dogs.Am J Vet Res. 2008; 69: 728-736
- Sedative and analgesic effects of romifidine in horses.Int J Appl Res Vet Med. 2005; 3: 249-258
- Investigation of romifidine and detomidine for the clinical sedation of horses.Vet Rec. 2000; 147: 507-511
- Effect of romifidine on gastrointestinal motility, assessed by transrectal ultrasonography.Equine Vet J. 2001; 33: 570-576
- Cardiovascular effects of romifidine in the standing horse.Res Vet Sci. 2002; 72: 123-129
- A preliminary study on the effects of atropine sulphate on bradycardia and heart blocks during romifidine sedation in the horse.Vet Res Commun. 1990; 14: 489-502
- The effects of L-659,066, a peripheral α2-adrenoceptor antagonist, on dexmedetomidine-induced sedation in dogs.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2008; 35: 409-411
- The effects of increasing doses of MK-467, a peripheral alpha2-adrenergic receptor antagonist, on the cardiopulmonary effects of intravenous dexmedetomidine in conscious dogs.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 34: 332-337
- Influence of MK-467, a peripherally acting α2-adrenoceptor antagonist on the disposition of intravenous dexmedetomidine in dogs.Drug Metab Dispos. 2012; 40: 445-449
- Dexmedetomidine inhibits gastric emptying and oro-caecal transit in healthy volunteers.Br J Anaesth. 2011; 106: 522-527
- Clinical uses of α2-adrenergic agonists.Anesthesiology. 2000; 93: 1345-1349
- Plasma concentrations, behavioural and physiological effects following intravenous and intramuscular detomidine in horses.Equine Vet J. 2009; 41: 772-777
- The mechanism of α2-adrenergic inhibition of sympathetic ganglionic transmission.Anesth Analg. 1998; 87: 503-510
- Effect of sedation with detomidine and butorphanol on pulmonary gas exchange in the horse.Acta Vet Scand. 2009; 51: 22-30
- Detomidine and the combination of detomidine and MK-467, a peripheral alpha-2 adrenoceptor antagonist, as premedication in horses anaesthetized with isoflurane.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2015; 42: 527-536
- The effects of L-659,066, a peripheral α2-adrenoceptor antagonist, and verapamil on the cardiovascular influences of dexmedetomidine in conscious sheep.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 33: 434-438
- Effects of different doses of L-659,066 on the bispectral index and clinical sedation in dogs treated with dexmedetomidine.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2011; 38: 415-422
- Effect of MK-467 on organ blood flow parameters detected by contrast-enhanced ultrasound in dogs treated with dexmedetomidine.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2013; 40: e48-e56
- Colonic alpha 2-adrenoceptor-mediated responses in the pony.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 1987; 10: 310-318
- Comparison of the effects of the alpha-2 agonists detomidine, romifidine and xylazine on nociceptive withdrawal reflex and temporal summation in horses.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2009; 36: 384-395
- Cardiopulmonary and sedative effects of the peripheral α2-adrenoceptor antagonist MK 0467 administered intravenously or intramuscularly concurrently with medetomidine in dogs.Am J Vet Res. 2012; 73: 587-594
- The cardiopulmonary effects of a peripheral alpha-2-adrenoceptor antagonist, MK-467, in dogs sedated with a combination of medetomidine and butorphanol.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2014; 41: 567-574
- Atipamezole increases medetomidine clearance in the dog: an agonist–antagonist interaction.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 1995; 18: 328-332
- The effects of a peripherally selective α2-adrenoceptor antagonist, MK-467, on the metabolic and cardiovascular response to exercise in healthy man.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1994; 37: 39-44
- Prerace venous acid-base values in Standardbred horses.Equine Vet J. 1996; 28: 390-396
- Plasma drug concentrations and clinical effects of a peripheral alpha-2-adrenoceptor antagonist, MK-467, in horses sedated with detomidine.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2013; 40: 257-264
- Pharmacokinetic profile and pharmacodynamic effects of romifidine hydrochloride in the horse.J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 35: 478-488
- Effects of α2-adrenergic drugs on small intestinal motility in the horse: an in vitro study.Vet J. 2011; 187: 342-346
Accepted: November 24, 2015
Received: September 21, 2015
© 2016 Association of Veterinary Anaesthetists and American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.